Friday, September 17, 2004

Third Whitest Place in America.

What is a bluegrass festival?

My version of Carson's Karnak routine.

Regardless, I'll be at the Walnut Valley Festival on Saturday which is held in my hometown of Winfield Kansas, about 45 miles south of Wichita where I know live. The WFV has been going on for 33 years. Insiders like my brother Roger count a few more unofficial festivals which were held at Southwestern College.

The festival draws 10,000 or more , just about doubling the size of Winfield. Many camp at the fairgrounds, beginning with a landrush for prime spots a week before the festival.

If you are bluegrass fan, this is the place to be.

Some bluegrass is pretty eclectic and there are some acts that should be classified as acoustic or roots rather than bluegrass. One act I plan to catch both times they play on Saturday is the Hot Club of Cowtown, a trio that is sort of cross between the Western Swing of Bob Wills and the gypsy jazz of Django Reinhardt.

No comments: